After walking away from purchasing a practice that wasn’t a good fit, John Pasicznyk worked as an associate for two and a half years. On this episode, John shares his story, from failures and discouragement to being the owner of multiple thriving dental practices. He details the journey from one practice to four, with all the ups and downs. Listen in to hear John’s story and to learn from his experience in owning multiple dental practices.
Working with associates in multiple dental practices
Dr. John Pasicznyk owns four dental practices. Each one is staffed with an associate and John travels between the clinics as a “traveling specialist.” On this episode, John shares the challenges he has faced in hiring the right people, what he does to help with their development while they are working for him, and the CE that he encourages them to take. He also describes the transition he is working on that will allow associates to become partners in the practice. Listen in for an authentic discussion about working with associates in multiple dental practices.
Communication with patients is key to the success of your dental practice
Taking T-Bone’s sleep course has helped Dr. Pasicznyk to change the way that he communicates with patients. On this episode, he talks about how he has learned to ask questions that he was formerly hesitant to ask. He describes how he is constantly coaching his associates and team on how to earn a patient’s trust, listen well, and provide the education needed for patients to make good decisions about their dental health. Listen to this podcast to get ideas for improving your patient communication.
Taking and teaching Continuing Education to contribute to job satisfaction
For Dr. John Pasicznyk, Continuing Education courses have made a big difference in the way he practices dentistry. He has enjoyed learning and implementing new procedures, and has gone on to teach for Cerec. He finds immense satisfaction in being able to educate and motivate other dentists, passing on what he has learned from others. Listen to today’s interview to hear about ways that CE can be a huge contributor to your job satisfaction.
Dr. John Pasicznyk’s advice for young or newer dentists: Find a mentor
Dr. Pasicznyk didn’t hesitate when T-Bone asked him what advice he would give newer dentists. His immediate response was, “Find a mentor.” On this episode, Dr. Pasicznyk shares his appreciation for the things he learned while working as an associate and describes what to look for in a mentor. If you have recently graduated from dental school or have been working just a couple of years, listen to this episode to hear about the influence a mentor can have on your life and dental practice.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:15] Intro to Dr. John Pasicznyk, multiple practice owner in Indianapolis.
- [1:58] Dr. John’s story – from failures and discouragement to owning four practices.
- [16:53] Will a second practice be easy cash flow?
- [19:50] How John learned from his mistakes and established a third practice.
- [23:29] John’s rocky journey to adding a fourth practice.
- [26:57] What’s holding Dr. John from buying even more practices?
- [28:37] The challenges Dr. John faces in hiring associates for his four practices.
- [37:58] Dr. John’s role in the development of his associates.
- [40:01] Using the Shofu camera for digital photography.
- [41:24] Dr. P’s office excels at same-day dentistry and communication with patients.
- [43:04] Ongoing education for Dr. P’s associates.
- [43:56] Dr. John’s road to implementing sleep apnea treatments in his dental practices.
- [48:38] A short review of T-Bone’s sleep apnea course.
- [51:03] Dr. John’s involvement with the Cerec community is part of his job satisfaction.
- [57:02] 3-D imaging is even bigger for the practice than Cerec.
- [57:42] One piece of advice for someone coming out of school – Find a mentor.
- [1:01:35] How Dr. John is learning to look at himself in the mirror.
- [1:02:25] Dr. John’s plans for developing a model that will allow associates to become partners.
Resources & People Mentioned
Listen to the entire interview
Subscribe to the Podcast
Want to get T-Bone Speaks sent directly to your smart device when a new episode comes out? T-Bone would love that! You can do so by subscribing via iTunes or searching for “T-Bone Speaks” on your podcast player (don’t forget the hyphen).
Submit a question for T-Bone
If you’d like to have T-Bone address a question or issue you’re having in your practice he’d love to respond and answer your question on the show. You can submit your question by completing the contact form here.
Attend one of T-Bones LIVE events!
If you are interested in attending a LIVE event that T-Bone is hosting you can find one near you by checking out the map and event descriptions here.