In this week’s episode, Dr. Mona Gupta and Justin McLendon, both from Gupta Wellness in Raleigh, NC, discuss with me about Mental Dental: Helping People Move to The Next Step.
Dr. Gupta was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. After completing her studies and residency, Dr. Gupta sought to gain a variety of experience working in several different inpatient and outpatient facilities.
Justin McLendon, LPC, LCAS, received a Bachelor’s degree in psychology and a Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from South University in Royal Palm Beach Florida.
Both, Dr. Gupta and Justin believe in the utilization of evidence-based treatment, the engagement of family systems in the recovery/treatment process, utilization of community supports, developing deep meaningful relationships with others, and facilitating positive change within the whole person (mind, body, and spirit) not just controlling the substance use.
Dr. Gupta explains that effective treatment is one that uses a multifaceted approach to meet the patient where they are and support them in facilitating positive change in all areas of their life. Justin describes what is substance abuse and how IOP works. They also share signs and symptoms of substance abuse and how to seek professional help. Justin helps us understand how to determine who is a candidate for IOP and who isn’t and how we can help people to move the next step.
This week on T-Bone Speaks Dentistry Podcast:
? Signs and symptoms of substance abuse
? What can we do to help people with primary substance use disorder?
? The consequences of not seeking professional help.
? What are the triggers for substance use disorder?
? How to find candidates for IOP?
Our Favorite Quotes:
· “A clear sign of substance use disorder is when people use alcohol to self-medicate themselves to cope with stress, frustration, and depression.” – Justin McLendon
· “Financial stress, too much time at home with family, and uncertainty can trigger substance use disorder.” – Dr. Mona Gupta
· “The amount and frequency are big signs of substance use disorder.” – Justin McLendon
· “Intensive outpatient falls between a more restrictive inpatient/residential level of care and the less restrictive outpatient level of care.” – Justin McLendon
· “There are some medications that are game-changer for some people.” – Dr. Mona Gupta
Connect with Gupta Wellness
Subscribe, Connect & Share Your Favorite Episodes
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of T-Bone Speaks Dentistry. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts or Google Play Music to subscribe to the show and leave your honest review. For more great content and helpful tips to grow your dental practice, visit our website. Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn, subscribe on YouTube, and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with other dental practitioners.