Dr. Dana Blalock has been practicing dentistry for 32 years, first in the Navy, then in a partnership, and finally in private practice on Daniel Island in South Carolina. On this episode, Dana shares the story of her journey and the motivation that she has to continue learning and growing. Dental sleep medicine has captured her interest and is a big part of her practice and a focus for her future goals. Listen to today’s interview to learn from Dana’s years of experience and her commitment to staying current.
Why dental sleep medicine is Dr. Dana Blalock’s favorite part of her practice
Dental sleep medicine captured Dr. Blalock’s interest from the time she first began learning about the importance of the airway. She has invested time in numerous CE courses on sleep apnea treatment, and is working toward making dental sleep medicine her primary focus. Listen to this interview to learn about the courses Dr. Blalock has taken, the impact that sleep treatment has had on her dental practice, and how medical billing has made a difference in patients being able and willing to be treated for sleep apnea.
The challenge of connecting hygiene with patient education
Like many other dentists, one of Dana Blalock’s biggest hurdles is combining hygiene with patient education. On this episode, Dana and T-Bone discuss this challenge and how to encourage hygienists to participate in patient education for additional procedures, including dental sleep medicine and other health issues. They also talk about including digital photography in the new patient process, and how that helps pave the way for effective patient education. Listen in to get some ideas for improving patient education in your own practice.
Digital photography enhances patient education in your dental practice
Digital photography is a great way to start the conversation with your patients about treatments they may need and want. T-Bone considers it the number one technology in his practice. Dr. Dana Blalock is getting ready to make the switch from intraoral to digital photos. On this episode, T-Bone talks with her about how to make the switch and what cameras he recommends. If you’re ready to add digital photography to your practice, this podcast episode is a great resource for you.
Dr. Dana Blalock’s advice for success in dental practice
While Dana Blalock has achieved success in dentistry, she continues to have clear goals for the future and a desire to learn and grow. On today’s episode, she shares a few words of advice for others who want to experience success in their dental practice. She talks about your relationship with patients, commitment to CE, and how to be modern and advanced in your practice even if you don’t have all the current technology. Listen in for some solid advice from a dentist who has practiced for 32 years and continues to stay current and experience success.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:17] Introducing Dana Blalock, DDS.
- [4:08] Dana’s story, from the Navy to a partnership to a private practice.
- [8:11] Dana Blalock describes her practice and her thoughts about insurance.
- [10:43] Why dental sleep medicine is Dana Blalock’s favorite part of her practice.
- [15:37] How the DNA appliance works for sleep apnea and TMJ.
- [20:45] How to cover the procedures you prefer not to do.
- [25:26] Overcoming the hurdle of patient education.
- [29:27] Digital photographs as part of the new patient process.
- [34:39] Overcoming the hurdle of the hygiene department not converting to other procedures.
- [37:52] Dr. Dana Blalock’s advice for success in your dental practice.
- [43:40] Small technology that makes life easier for Dr. Blalock.
- [48:30] What Dana Blalock is doing to reach her 5-year goal of doing dental sleep medicine exclusively.
- [50:58] The growing percentage of women in dentistry.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Dr. Blalock’s e-mail
- Dr. Blalock’s website
- Arrowhead Dental Lab
- Las Vegas Institute course
- David Singh, Vivos DNA sleep appliance
- Epigenetic Orthodontics, David Singh
- Rachel Wall Inspired Hygiene
- EagleSoft practice management software
- Enlive paperless patient forms
- International Academy of Sleep
Listen to the entire interview
Subscribe to the Podcast
Want to get T-Bone Speaks sent directly to your smart device when a new episode comes out? T-Bone would love that! You can do so by subscribing via iTunes or searching for “T-Bone Speaks” on your podcast player (don’t forget the hyphen).
Submit a question for T-Bone
If you’d like to have T-Bone address a question or issue you’re having in your practice he’d love to respond and answer your question on the show. You can submit your question by completing the contact form here.
Attend one of T-Bones LIVE events!
If you are interested in attending a LIVE event that T-Bone is hosting you can find one near you by checking out the map and event descriptions here.