Being a strong leader is very challenging even when things are running well. Making sure that everyone is on the same page, that work is done correctly, and all team members get the attention and support they need to thrive isn’t an easy task. When you add in any external complication, being a strong leader is even more difficult.
When your business is experiencing a crisis, your attention is pulled in a million different directions. Imagine when another crisis strikes you when you are just getting out of the previous one. Dentists, especially those who are practice owners, have additional stress, and it can be difficult for our teams to focus on their jobs with so many other factors weighing on them.
As the owner and leader of an organization, it’s your job to support your team to remain efficient and ensure each member is taken care of — but when you’re also feeling the external pressure of whatever crisis you’re going through, it’s difficult to know what to do.
In this week’s episode, we talk with Dr. Brett Wells, the Owner/ President at Wells Family Dental Group and the Founder/CEO at DentalHQ, who shares his experience of the two months shut down due to COVID-19. He also discusses what to do when one team member tests positive for COVID-19. Dr. Brett shares how emotionally he got when he watched live on the news when someone threw a brick at his dental practice’s front window located in the heart of Downtown Raleigh. He also shares how so many people reached out to show support. He explains how local and state leadership failed for him.
This week on T-Bone Speaks Dentistry Podcast:
- Three business crises in a short period of time
- Dealing with team member testing positive for COVID-19
- Being a strong leader for your organization during difficult times
- How local and state leadership fails to business owners
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “The whole COVID-19 crisis has been a crisis of leadership.”
- “I was prepared to lose a lot of my team members over COVID-19.”
- “The first thing to do is to mentally prepare your entire team before something happens.”
- “And they pan-over the camera really quick and I saw someone throwing a brick at my front window.”
- “Now we are the main picture in the local news about the clean-up effort.”
- “We are a tight industry, but so many have reached out.”
- “It was more the emotions felt than the physical damage.”
Subscribe, Connect & Share Your Favorite Episodes
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of T-Bone Speaks Dentistry. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts or Google Play Music to subscribe to the show and leave your honest review. For more great content and helpful tips to grow your dental practice, visit our website. Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn, subscribe on YouTube, and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with other dental practitioners.