TBS171 – Getting Over A Professional Divorce with Jen Kirwan
Jen Kirwan is the owner of The Smile Center, a dental practice in Kansas that offers services in cosmetic and general dentistry. The practice was founded in 2004, originally as a partnership with a local pediatric dentist until Jen eventually took over as its sole owner. Before becoming a full-time dental professional, Jen enlisted in the Army and served four years of active duty as well as four years of reserve duty. She obtained her Doctorate of Dental Surgery from Creighton University School of Dentistry in 2000.
In today’s episode, Jen shares how she found her passion for dentistry, her experience working in a partnership, and why the partnership eventually dissolved. She describes what it’s like to transition from a partnership to a solo practitioner type of practice and explains some of the financial setbacks she experienced while re-establishing her practice. Jen also discusses some of the lessons she’s learned from what she experienced and why you should always hire a lawyer when it comes to business matters.
“A divorce in a practice is a lot harder, messier, and more expensive than a partnership.” – Jen Kirwan
This week on T-Bone Speaks Dentistry Podcast:
- Her military experience and how she found her passion for dentistry.
- Why she chose to practice dentistry in Kansas.
- Her takeaways from learning about sleep apnea what a sleep champion is.
- The complex nature of her partnership and why it was dissolved.
- How business changes affected her from a financial perspective.
- What it took to overcome the professional and personal challenges she experienced.
- Her thoughts on hiring associates for your practice.
- Why she advocates to hire a lawyer when forming partnerships and making business decisions.
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “You can’t live wondering what’s going to happen tomorrow or you’ll miss it today.” – Jen Kirwan
- “You have to find your sleep champion, which is the person that owns it for you.” – Jen Kirwan
- “I really like being a big fish in a little pond.” – Jen Kirwan
Connect with Jen Kirwan:
Subscribe, Connect & Share Your Favorite Episodes
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of T-Bone Speaks Dentistry. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts or Google Play Music to subscribe to the show and leave your honest review. For more great content and helpful tips to grow your dental practice, visit our website. Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn, subscribe on YouTube, and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with other dental practitioners.