When Dr. Max Johnson was ready for his own practice, he decided to buy a dental practice instead of starting a new one. Dr. Johnson is a young dentist and has had his own practice for just over two years. In this episode, Max tells the story of how he got where he is, and he and T-Bone talk about the growth and changes that are happening in his practice and the challenges that go along with them. If your dental career is still fairly new, or if you want to inject new life into your dental practice, you’ll want to listen in and get some great advice and ideas from Dr. Johnson and T-Bone!
The role of continuing education in establishing your dental practice
When you’re starting out in dental practice, should you focus on learning on-the-job, or from books and courses? Is it worth taking classes when you don’t yet have a lot of patients? In this episode, Dr. Max Johnson and T-Bone talk about continuing education and how it benefits your practice from day one. They also recommend specific resources and courses that they have found to be helpful. Whether you are buying a dental practice, starting from scratch, or looking to grow an established practice, this episode contains lots of useful information on CE that you can use.
The hurdles that Dr. Max Johnson overcame after buying a dental practice
Buying a dental practice was what worked best for Dr. Johnson when he was ready to go on his own. But there were also significant hurdles that he had to overcome along the way. In this episode, Max shares what some of those hurdles were, and the things that he has done to move through them. You will be inspired by this energetic, forward-thinking young dentist as he talks about everything he has done to re-make the dental practice he bought into a practice that works for him and is growing and thriving.
Public Education and Facebook Videos create awareness in your dental market
Dr. Max Johnson quickly figured out that he and his staff were hearing the same questions over and over again from their patients. So he started doing a weekly Facebook Live video to answer those frequently asked questions and has found this to be a great way to connect with his patients and his community. In addition, he is starting to offer public education classes on new services and technology that he is offering. In this episode. Max and T-Bone talk about these platforms and how they are helping to grow his dental practice.
How do you go about establishing goals for yourself and your practice?
Having attainable goals for yourself and your staff is essential to the growth of your practice. In this episode, Dr. Max Johnson asks T-Bone about how to establish those goals. Listen in to hear T-Bone’s response and learn how to set your goals, help your staff to set their own goals, and how to work together to make it all happen. If you are ready for your practice to move forward, listen to this conversation to help you set the goals that will motivate your whole team.
Outline of This Episode
- [00:16] Introduction to today’s guest, Dr. Max Johnson
- [3:39] Dr. Max Johnson’s story of how he became a dentist and how he came to buy a dental practice.
- [13:16] Dr. Johnson describes his dental practice and what was in place when he bought it.
- [16:29] Questions and challenges with buying an existing dental practice.
- [22:18] Max Johnson’s Continuing Education wish list.
- [25:21] The value of including Continuing Education that helps you with patient communication and leading them to treatment.
- [28:56] How much do you learn on the job and how much can you learn in a book?
- [34:23] Dr. Johnson and his wife are both dentists, working in different spheres.
- [40:33] How Max Johnson overcame the hurdle of limited cash flow.
- [43:27] Your hygienist is your best resource for putting patients into the treatment funnel.
- [47:08] Weekly videos for your dental practice are a great way to connect with your patients and your market.
- [53:15] Record patient testimonials to spread the word about your dental practice.
- [55:45] Why Max Johnson came to T-Bone’s course (and wishes he had brought his team).
- [1:01:15] Dr. Johnson’s public education night, “Stop Snoring Now.”
- [1:12:48] Thoughts on going digital: 3D and Cad-Cam.
- [1:22:17] What Continuing Education is T-Bone taking?
- [1:26:04] How do you go about establishing goals for yourself and your practice?
- [1:33:29] How do you handle staff turnover? What on-boarding process is needed?
Resources & People Mentioned
- Connect with Dr. Max Johnson:
- Oracle Family Dental Website
- Phone: 520-975-4965
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Continuing Education Resources:
- Six-month smiles
- Justin Moody’s Implant Pathway course
- Invisalign Fundamentals course
- John Nosti’s Clinical Mastery series
- Spear Education
- Ashley Latter Dental Sales Training
- Paul Homoly mp3 downloads and books
- Gary Takacs Thriving Dentist podcast
- 3-D Dentists’ Sleep 101 program
- Digital Smile Design
- Dentsply Sirona World
- Facially generated treatment planning course from Spear
- Lapel mic on Amazon
- Metabyte Junior HST
Listen to the entire interview
Subscribe to the Podcast
Want to get T-Bone Speaks sent directly to your smart device when a new episode comes out? T-Bone would love that! You can do so by subscribing via iTunes or searching for “T-Bone Speaks” on your podcast player (don’t forget the hyphen).
Submit a question for T-Bone
If you’d like to have T-Bone address a question or issue you’re having in your practice he’d love to respond and answer your question on the show. You can submit your question by completing the contact form here.
Attend one of T-Bones LIVE events!
If you are interested in attending a LIVE event that T-Bone is hosting you can find one near you by checking out the map and event descriptions here.